Tuesday 31 December 2013

Happy Birthday


Today is my birthday.  And yours.

A day to start over.  A day to start a new.  While we cannot erase the actions of the past, we can use our mistakes as fodder to change our future.  We can make our "what ifs" turn into "what nows".

We can start all over again.

I know I have done a lot of things wrong in my life.  In particular, in the past three years.  Even with good intentions, I have hurt others.  I have hurt those closest to me.  And, perhaps more than anything else, I have hurt myself.  I have also been hurt.

We are not perfect, and pain is a reality of life.  Proof that we are still living....  Little by little, I am learning to accept the pain.  Respond in spite of it, rather than recoil because of it.  It may be my constant companion, but it does not have to dictate who I am.  Even if I fail, I am trying to make it all mean something...

That pain has carried me through to today.  The dawn of a new year.  The dawn of a new tomorrow.  I do not know what the future holds.  For me, for Gavin, or for anyone out there.  But I know that life is precious and tenuous.  And every dawn that we open our eyes to see is a chance to start all over again.

To create who we are, and what we want, for that very moment.  Because that moment is all we have....

Every time it snows, in the classic television special that airs this time of year, Frosty the Snowman springs to life, announcing "Happy Birthday" to all that can hear.  He is recreated - reborn - with the fresh snow.  Just as we can be reborn with the fresh new day.

And the first new day of the new year seems a perfect time to start.

Who do you want to be in this moment?  What do you want to do with this day?

Happy Birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment