Saturday 11 May 2013

Mothers Day

My first Mothers Day...
 
My first Mothers Day was special.  I guess everything in that first year is special, and that was no exception.  Kurt made me feel special.

My Mothers Days since haven't been nearly the same.  As a solo parent of a toddler, there was no one to make me breakfast in bed, or give me flowers or a sappy Mothers Day card.  Since Gavin isn't in school yet, there are no crayon drawings, painted clay pots, or popsicle stick wall hangings.  He doesn't know - doesn't care - what day it is.  I get up early, make breakfast, clean the kitchen, do the laundry, and run myself ragged until bed time, when I toss and turn and think about days gone by.  Really, with no one who really appreciates/recognizes/understands all I do, there is no day set aside to appreciate/recognize/understand me.  For all intents and purposes, its just another day. 

There is no Mothers Day.

And yet, as a solo parent of a toddler, I never have to share my son's affection, his love.  He tells me he loves me every hour.  I'm the only one.  I am the one who is there for every significant step.  I am the one whom he runs to for every scraped knee or hurt feeling.  I get every hug, every kiss.  I am not one of the two most important people in his world.  At three years old, I am his world.  And he is mine.

Every day is Mothers Day.

I guess I am lucky.  Its all in how you look at things.....

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there......





No comments:

Post a Comment