Tuesday 28 May 2013

Howling In The Moonlight


The image of the solitary swan swimming lost in the lake, looking for its mate.  The lone bald eagle perched atop the mountain.  The solitary wolf howling in the moonlight.  You’ve see them.

Swans, wolves, and bald eagles mate for life.  So, too, do gibbons, angelfish, albatrosses, termites, voles, turtle doves, barn owls, beavers, coyotes, condors, sandhill cranes, pigeons, and ospreys.  Even the vulture mates for life.

So I guess its okay if I do too.  I’m in good company.

Part of the reason I find it so hard to let go of my relationship with Kurtis is that I am letting go of a dreram.  Ever since I was young, I wanted to be a wife.  To be loved by someone outside my immediate family.  And I was.  In a way that I can never see repeating again.  Yes, I know there are many widows and widowers who have gone on to wonderful chapter 2s, establishing relationships and families beyond the death of their loved one.  I just don’t see that ever happening to me.

What Kurt and I shared was irreplaceable.  I honestly believe I won the lottery with my first ticket.  And will not buy another.  Don’t get me wrong.  I want to love again, to be loved again.  I just don’t think it will ever happen.  I just can’t see there being a time when I will not compare, when I will not wish for what was. 

I have to find a way to come to terms with what I had, and be thankful that I had it.  Know that two years of love is enough to last me for a lifetime.  And then turn, alone to face my lake, my mountain, my moonlight.  Without him beside me.  

Yet embraced by him still...


2 comments:

  1. Hi Chrystal,

    Its been 6 months 2 weeks 1 day and 6 hours since I lost my beloved life partner and soul mate. Everything you have been writing strikes a chord in me and expresses exactly how I feel most of the time. My heart goes out to you and your gorgeous boy and especially to Kurt because he would only want you to be happy I am sure - as does my love. But its just so hard to live without them. Life seems empty, is empty. However someone said to me recently about how 'honouring the love we held for one another' may remind us to celebrate the lives they/we had and the legacy of love they have given us - eternal love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it is about, really. Honouring them and the love we shared by putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward. Its hard, but some of the best things in life are hard... Huge hugs to you too.

      Delete