Friday 20 April 2012

It Could Always Have Been Worse...



It could have been worse.

He could have suffered.
He could have drowned.
He could have been aware what was happening to him.
He could have survived with irreversible brain injuries.
He could have collapsed an hour later at work and killed someone.
He could have collapsed an hour earlier with Gavin in his arms
He could have collapsed two days earlier and killed us all.

Gavin could have died with him.
Gavin could have been older and felt more pain from losing his daddy.
He could have died before Gavin was born.  Before his first Christmas.  His first Fathers Day.
He could have died before Gavin was at all.

We could have been fighting when he died.  Our last words could have been in anger.
We could have had a loveless marriage.

I could have been left penniless.
I could have been left homeless.
I could have been completely alone, without family support.

He could have died alone, in his friend's basement, having never known love.
He could have died alone, in his friends basement, with me never knowing his love.

Instead.....

He did not suffer.
He did not know.
No one else got hurt.

Gavin is here with me.
He got to experience the joys of fatherhood.
His legacy is carried on in our son.
I am not alone.

I have a home to raise our son.
I have a job to provide for our son.
I have family to assist me in the raising of our son.

He collapsed in familiar surroundings, in a house he was proud of.

He knew love.
I knew love.
We knew love.

It could always have been worse....


My thanks to a fellow blogger who gave me the idea for this post.   You're right.  It could always be worse.....

1 comment: