Monday 16 April 2012

Nine Lives

I had to put our cat down this morning.  The cat which bore Kurt's nickname.  The cat Kurt nursed back to health as a kitten.  Kurt's cat.

If you love animals, you understand that he was not "just" a cat...

I don't know whether I feel sad, angry, confused, all of the above, some of the above, or none of the above.  I know I did the right thing.  But I just don't feel good.  I miss my friend.  I miss my husband's friend.  And by extension, I miss my husband more....

Wiggy would have been 5 years old in May.  That's 36 human years according to the chart I stared at in the vet's office.  The average lifespan of an indoor domestic cat is 15-18 years.... That's equivalent to almost 92 human years at the upper end.  He died far too young.

Kurt was the same age as Wiggy.  35.  The life span of a male born in North America is almost 79.  He also died far too young.

Is this a sad coincidence?  Maybe.  Probably.  But as I look at the calendar and my impending 35th birthday, I can't wait until the next 365 days are over.  35 doesn't seem to be a good year in this household right now...

But if its more - God really does hold life and death in his grasp - then what does this mean?  Why must the two who were so intimately related as to carry the same name be called so soon, long before their time?  And why must I be the one always left standing as the dust settles, to bury their ashes and keep trudging along?  I've written before about my journey to rediscover my faith.  If this is the plan God has for us, I think it may just be time to part ways, before I am hurt further.

Now if I could just convince my heart that it is the right thing to do...


No comments:

Post a Comment