Friday 15 June 2012

Cake Crumbs


Cleaning out the freezer today, I did something I haven't done in a long time.  Reached the bottom.  The very bottom.

There, wrapped in multiple layers of foil, was the top layer of our wedding cake.  Originally we were going to eat it on our first anniversary.  That day passed...

Then we decided we would eat it on our fifth anniversary.  And force out kids to eat five year old cake at the same time.  Just because.

I unwrapped the cake today.  It looks the same as I remember it on that day.  I remember baking that cake in our kitchen.  Sitting on the internet with Kurt forcing him to look at wedding cakes online.  Seeing it sitting on the table that day.  Slicing the knife into it.  Feeding him.  Him feeding me.  I remember it all.....

I tasted a little of the icing.

Kurt and I would have ben married 4 years this August.  The cake still has one year to age.

Slowly, I wrapped up the cake and tossed it in the garbage.  Stared at it sitting there, then tied the bag up and walked away.

There's nothing special about it any more.  It's just cake. And no one wants to eat 4-year old cake anyway....

The icing tasted just fine though.  It would have lasted another year.

I wish Kurt and I had.....






No comments:

Post a Comment