Wednesday 7 August 2013

Seeking Closure: The Next Chapter


Kurt was finally interred on the weekend. Just a week short of three years since he died, we finally returned him to his family who have gone before, in the family plots in town where he grew up. Buried the past as it will. And let him rest.

I was hoping this final act would help me bury my past as well. Give me closure to what has been a troubling and trying time in my life. I should have known it wouldn’t. For while Kurt’s remains are now safe, his life and death recorded on the monument for posterity, he still lives, breathes, and exists with every beat of my heart. Every breath of his son. His life is not in that urn, or the larger urn that rests close to me at the Columbarium. It is all around me.

I cannot bury and walk away from my past. Because my past is also my present. Me and We are one and the same.

I cannot close the book on him. Rather, I walk away from the cemetery to write another chapter in our shared existence together.

Rest well, my love. Your body, turned to dust, may rest far underground. But you gave me your heart, and I carry that with me into our tomorrow. I will treasure that part of you. Treat it with care. And can’t wait to return it to you someday.

I love you.  We love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment