Saturday 25 August 2012

Six Minutes Revealed: Where Do We Go From Here



There's so much more I remember... about those days.  About the days that followed.  But even more that I don't.

Visits to the funeral home.  Phone calls from family and friends.  Coroner conversations.  Autopsy results.  I know they all happened.  With family holding my hand, somehow I got through.  But my memory ends the evening of August 11th.  I don't even remember returning to the house  from my uncles that evening.  Coming home without him.

After Kurt's funeral, the presiding minister handed me a brown envelope, with a copy of the service inside.  I didn't appreciate it at the time.  But in the days that have come since, every tim I re-read those words, I do.  I have very little recollection of that day.  Or the next, when we placed him in his final resting place.

I seem to really remember very little.  But what I do stays with my crystal clear.....

Minutes without him have grown into hours.  Hours to days.  Days to weeks.  Weeks to months.  Now the months have progressed into years.

Gavin and I are both older.  Gavin is much bigger.  And together, we are still trying to put back the pieces of our lives.

It took 6 minutes for our world to unravel.  I'm beginning to accept it will take a lifetime to undo the pain...

After writing the last of our story, before posting it for all to see, I went into Gavin's room where he was napping and crawled in beside him in bed.  When I awoke, he had already climbed out, and was playing at the open door on the floor with the dog.  Just like the night before it all began....

I'm not as happy as I was that day.  I don't think I can ever be again.  For that was a happiness derived in part from ignorance.  My eyes have been forever opened.  I know how fast something can be taken.  How fast a life can end.  I have felt the depth of emotions the no one should have to endure.

But I am still standing.  There's still a lot of work to do.  The psychological wounds remain.  The flashbacks still exist.  The anxiety never goes away.  I still can't sleep.  And there are days I still wish I, too, would die.

I can admit that I am very, very sad.

But I am happy too.  And finding a way for those two polar opposites to coexist at the same time.  I'm happy Kurt and I were able to have children.  I feel very blessed to be Gavin's mommy.  To have a reason to go on even when I am hurting.  And I am happy for the love Kurt and I shared.  I would not hurt, not have felt the deepest of lows, had I not also felt the highest of highs.

I love what we had.

I love what we created.

And I get up every morning hoping to one day, again, love the life I have been given.  After all, it could be gone tomorrow.....



Tomorrow's a mystery.  Yesterday is history.  Today is a gift.  That's why we call it the present.

I love you, Kurtis.  I am Always Yours....







1 comment:

  1. There.
    Are.
    No.
    Words.
    I'm sorry.
    And I get it.
    I wish I didn't. I wish you didn't.
    But here we are.
    You are going through the toughest time now. Not many people know, or tell you, that the second year is the worst. It seems to peak in its horribleness at around 18 months. And then things start to even out. And you move forward a bit easier because you're stronger, not because it's easier. You're simply stronger than you once were.
    I didn't comment to tell you all of that. But there it is.
    I commented to tell you that what you wrote is beautiful. I, too, grieved very, very hard.
    I have been told that the harder you loved, the harder you grieve.
    And I did love hard.
    So did you.
    You have been blessed.
    :)

    ReplyDelete